Thursday, June 5, 2008

Save $ With Seeds + Weather VENT!

Just heard that one dime spend on seeds equals one dollar spent on produce. I'm excited about our garden this year...both for the savings and for the attempt to go organic. I've got tiny little celery plants coming up...a first for me. Cabbage, broccoli, green beans, corn, carrots, lettuce, peas, dill and spinach are all slowly coming up. The tomatoes and peppers are hanging in there, trying to survive the cold.

Now if it would just get sunny enough for all the seeds to germinate. I'm pretty sure that the squash and cucumber seeds I planted about 2-3 weeks ago DROWNED. We also put in a few cucumber plants, about half of which succumbed to root rot.

Today I put on my heavy winter coat and stopped at the farm store to get cucumber and squash PLANTS. (It seems pretty late to be reseeding, although I'm going to do that as well.) I was talking with the cashier, asking if she thought I dared to put them in the ground since today's high was in the 50s. She half scolded me saying that Old Timers say that you shouldn't plant til after Memorial Day.

BUT IT'S AFTER MEMORIAL DAY!!!!! CAN I SAFELY PLANT NOW?????

It's the 5th of June and one of the best things sprouting in my garden is winter kale. When can I plant my summer vegetables?????

My mother-in-law asked if I could bring strawberries to a family gathering this weekend. Strawberries? You mean those hard little green balls in my raised beds?

So she asks me to buy bananas. I have lots of guilt about buying bananas, but I did it. Then I watch Jennifer's link.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad you're back!
This is interesting: "Just heard that one dime spend on seeds equals one dollar spent on produce." But, NO KIDDING!!! It's wet and cold here and those little green strawberries ARE NOT TURNING RED!!!!!! I was planting flower seeds last weekend and told David that seeds are so Not My Thing! Too much attention to detail. I just want to throw them out there by the handfuls with no attention to spacing, etc. But celery.....I want to know how that one turns out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails