Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Spring Quiche Trio



Here's a favorite seasonal recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Simply in Season. In the cookbook there are several crusts and fillings to choose from, but I'll just list what I did when I made these...



Spring Quick Trio

3 eggs
1 c. evaporated milk (since 'LilDude is dairy intolerant, I modified and used some thickened rice milk)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Beat together and set aside.

Prepare a crust. I chose the potato crust:

3 c. uncooked potatoes, coarsely grated
3 T. oil
Mix together. Press into bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan. Bake in preheated oven at 425 until just starting to brown, about 15 mins. Add filling and bake as directed.

Prepare selected filling (below) and pour into crust and top with egg/milk mixture, ending with sprinkling of cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 425 for 15 mins. Reduce heat to 350 and bake until browned on top and set in the middle, another 25-30 mins. Allow to cool for 10-15 mins. before cutting and serving.


Asparagus filling (I modified the recipe in SIS...here's what I did...)
1 - 1 1/2 c. asparagus, cooked and chopped
1 c. cheese (they call for Swiss, I used mozzarella...and make a separate little pie with no cheese for ds)
1/2 c. bacon (fried, crumbled) or cooked ham (diced)
1 T. fresh rosemary, chopped

Mix together, adding herbs to egg-milk mixture

I made a second filling (I doubled the recipe) with broccoli, ham, and cheese.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails