Monday, April 14, 2008

Typical Day in the Life of Lizzi, Homeschool vs. Public

Guest post by Lizzi, 13, who just started her third week in public school after homeschooling the last seven years.

A typical day in the life of Lizzi comparison...

Homeschool-
  • Wake up, 7:30ish, meander down to the kitchen, read a book while slowly eating breakfast, then, if I feel like it, get dressed.
  • Start school 8:15-8:30, do math, music practice, history, writing, Spanish, and science, before 11:30, when we eat lunch.
  • After lunch, we have “Quiet Time,” for and hour or two while Lil’Dude takes a nap. During Quiet Time I read, draw, listen to music, do clay projects, scrapbook.
  • Come out 2:00ish, go outside if it’s nice, if not, we play inside and do our special interests, (clay, computer, art, etc.)
  • 4:00, watch Cyberchase, a great math show on PBS.
  • Sometime between 4:30 and 5:30, eat dinner, then play with Daddy and have family time till bed, at 8:30.
Public school-
  • 7:00, wake up, unless it’s a shower day, then it’s 6:45.
  • Eat breakfast, get dressed, put in contacts, get all school books together, grab lunch, do hair, brush teeth, attempt to finish a music lesson, all before 8:20ish, when I have to walk to the end of the road to catch the bus.
  • First period is math, where we normally spend about 50 minutes of the 80 minute period going over the math assignment from the day before, then send the rest of the time going over the assignment for the next day.
  • Second is geography or science, for 80 minutes.
  • After that is lunch.
  • Then it’s off to fiber arts, where we sit around and knit.
  • After that is language arts, P.E., then the second half of language arts.
  • Then is break, for nine minutes, before I go to computer ed, then leave to go home.
  • When I get home, I first eat a snack, then get my homework done. After that is dinner, then I spend the rest of my evening finishing up any other work I have, play with my dog, pack my lunch for the next day, and go to bed at 8:30, to read my 30 minutes of reading each day for language arts. Phew!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails