Friday, September 26, 2008

Organic Surprise

It's been a long week. While I'm usually a SAHM, I sometimes do contract work as an educational consultant. This week I worked four days and traveled about three hours a day on the road. When I arrived home each day, I was famished and only too happy to scrounge on whatever leftovers I could find in the fridge.

One day I threw together a plate of the aforementioned groundnut stew/rice with broccoli. Although I was shoveling the food in as quickly as I could (this was about 2pm and I hadn't eaten anything but a snack since my breakfast at 5am), I still happened to notice something that made me stop, mid-chew. From beneath a branch of broccoli protruded several very skinny, black threads. Kinda leggy lookin'. I pushed back one clump of broccoli. There, peacefully laying on my plate, was one very dead Daddylongleg spider. Thankfully, all his body parts were still there. I counted.

Still being hungry, I added his little body to the compost and finished my lunch. If it's organic enough for a spider, it's organic enough for me. ;)

1 comment:

Alison Kerr said...

I can't count the number of times a caterpillar or two has made it onto our table amongst the salad. As you say, it shows we're eating organic un-sprayed food, still, I always feel a bit strange afterward :-(

Related Posts with Thumbnails