Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 17, Use It or....??? SW Chicken Lasagna (93...Free!)

...throw it out???

How many times have you come home from the grocery store, bags filled to overflowing, just to have to turn around and toss items from the fridge that you didn't finish? It would seem that if we could use what we have first, we might end up saving money.

To that end, I've been looking for a website that can help me to use up ingredient odds and ends. Today I had the remains of a Costco sized jar of spaghetti sauce...about 2 cups worth, but not enough to make spaghetti. A jar of salsa needed emptying. Jalapenos from the garden were waiting for use. But I didn't want to use sour cream or any "cream of _____ soups." So I used this website, entering the ingredients I had on hand and dictating the foods I did not want to include. It gave me several recipes to choose from including one for Southwestern Chicken Lasagna, which uses corn tortillas. It was delicious! And a nice gluten free alternative to standard lasagnas.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails